What is WordPress?
How can WordPress help me?
What does WordPress cost?
How/where do I get WordPress?
My website: http://wpconsultant.co.uk/
Who uses WordPress?
About WordPress – Google Trends
Setting Up a WordPress website
Reserving a domain name
Choosing web hosting
Installation – in a few clicks
Installing WordPress manually
Getting Started – use as model sites…
Anatomy of the Homepage – header, nav menu, content, sidebar, footer
Quick introduction to the WordPress Admin Menu
- > Themes
- > Widgets
- > Menus
- > Background
- > Header
- > Profile
- > General
- > Permalinks
- > Discussion Settings
Give out login details to each attendee
Everyone login to their own site.
Basic WordPress settings
Changing your user details and email
1. Site Title
4. Set time zone
5. Depending on the theme you have installed, you may want to add a “Home” page and then select it as the “Front page” here in Reading Settings
6. Untick “Allow people to post comments on new articles”. Unless you want comments (and the inevitable spam) of course!
7. Select Custom Structure and enter: /%category%/%postname%/
8. Install the essential plugins, as outlined in 10 Essential WordPress Plugins
9. Set your WordPress API code for Akismet, Site Stats and any other plugins you have installed that require it.
10. Assuming you want a contact page, install the Contact Form 7 plugin, click on Contact in the main menu, click to create the table, change any options you want to and then paste the table code into a new page called “Contact”
What are posts?
Your first post
What are pages?
Your first page
* Add some pages: Home, About, Contact are the three essential pages.
Services, Portfolio, News, Gallery, Videos, Reviews,
Managing your menus
What are themes?
Finding a great theme
Installing a theme
Customizing a theme
* We’ll use the Lifestyle Theme
What are plugins?
Choosing a plugin
Dos and donts
We’ll use Contact Form 7, MapPress, WP Insert and WP Cycle plugins
Recommended plugins for:
Contact and other Forms
What is a sidebar?
What are sidebar widgets?
Choosing and installing sidebar widgets
Adding text and images
Questions & Answers
At the end, feedback form, to assess interest in future training classes.