Mon, 20 May 2013 0 Spaces Remaining
9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
See bottom of page to book...
Location...The Burlington Arms
21 Old Burlington Street
This course teaches you all the basics of building, running and marketing websites using WordPress, the world’s leading website solution. In one day, you will build your own stunning website, which we will host free for one year. The course runs from 9.30am to 5pm and is limited to 10 places.
About the course
We cover everything from WordPress installation and set up to all the most useful features and tools WordPress offers. You get a brand new site to work on through the day, which you will practise on and make your own. You will apply an attractive design, make the site search engine friendly and add all the features and functionality you need to further develop and run the site yourself.
Get your own domain name
After the course, we can set your site up on any UK domain name of your choice, brand new or an existing one you already own. You can keep the site after the course, hosted free for one year. After that, hosting is available from just £8/mo for our standard WordPress hosting package – see more details of our hosting packages here.
How the course works
- Please bring your own laptop with WiFi. Wireless broadband and power sockets are provided.
- WordPress is incredibly easy to pick up and you will be free to go at your own pace throughout the day. All training materials will be provided after the course, so there need be no fear of “falling behind”.
- This is an intensive course and assumes a decent working knowledge of using computers and the internet, even if you have little or no prior knowledge of WordPress.
- Arrive from 9.30am for tea and coffee ready for a start at 9.45. We will cover all the basics of WordPress and have your own site up and running before lunch!
- After a break for lunch, we’ll go through everything WordPress can do in more detail. You will learn how to control the structure, look and feel, add essential features, forms, track visitors, get ranked well on search engines, take easy PayPal payments on your site and much much more.
- The course ends at 5pm and you will be invited to stay around for further discussion with Toby and with each other, about WordPress, about your website and about your business. Toby will be around after the course to give you further advice and guidance about your site.
- After the course, you will be sent all the course materials and clear instructions for setting up your site on its own domain name (old or new). You will have a year of free hosting, then you have the option to continue for just £8/mo. See more details on our great value WordPress hosting here.
- 9.30am – Arrive for tea, coffee and registration.
- 9.45am – Introduction and informal discussion while everyone sets up their laptops and gets online.
- 10 am – Course begins
- 1pm – Lunch (not included, but the menu is great value with prices ranging from just £2 to £17 and lunch is the perfect time to further discuss WordPress with Toby and each other)
- 1.45pm – Course resumes
- 5pm – Course ends. You are invited to stick around for further assistance with WordPress, with your site and general networking over drinks.
The course runs in the perfectly suited private function room of The Burlington Arms, often used for business meetings and training. The Burlington Arms is in the heart of London, and just 5 mins walk from Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus and Green Park tube stations.
WordPress Training Course – Topics Covered
- Introduction to WordPress
- Installation and Set Up
- Admin Panel, Settings and Basic Configuration
- Posts and Pages
- Categories and Tags
- Users, Links and Comments
- Themes and Plugins
- Theme Frameworks
- Why and how to use the Genesis framework
- Menus and Widgets
- Images and Videos
- Galleries and Portfolios
- Contact Forms and Maps
- Security, Stability and Backing Up
- Take easy online payments with PayPal
- Tracking – traffic, visitors and site stats
- How to get visitors and “traffic”
- Search Engine Optimisation
- Google’s free tools: Analytics, AdWords, Webmaster Tools, Trends and Keywords
- Blogs and Forums
- Facebook, Twitter and social networking
- RSS Feeds – stream external news and content on your site
Any questions, just call us or contact us – see top right of page.
This event is fully booked.